Preparation procedures include exfoliating the body using a body scrub eight hours prior to service without applying any lotion. Please read below for more information about preparation.
Airbrush Tanning Q&A
How do self tanners work?
The principle tanning agent used in all self-tanning formulas is DHA. This ingredient does not produce a ‘real tan’ by increasing the skin’s melanin levels; rather it creates a tanned appearance by developing a brown color on the surface of the skin. This is a result of the reaction between the DHA, skin proteins, and oxygen that produces brown compounds. The color developed by the DHA usually lasts 5 to 7 days and begins to fade as the top layer of the skin naturally exfoliates.
How do I prepare for a sunless tan?
- Shower, exfoliate, and moisturize the night before your tan
- Avoid applying lotion the day of your session
- A bathing suit or underwear may be worn during service
- Bring dark, loose clothing to wear home
Will the excess liquid from a spray tan application come off on my clothes?
- Some of the bronze color may rub off on clothing or bed sheets. To minimize the chance of the tint transferring to clothing, we recommend that you wear loose-fitting, darker clothes after your spray session. The cosmetic tint is water-soluble and in most cases will come out of clothing in the wash.
How do I prolong my tan?
- Wait at least 8 hours (4 hours for Express Tan) before showering to allow the DHA to fully develop.
- Keep skin moisturized. Try Norvell’s Body Butter made with cocoa butter.
- Try to also refrain from physical exertion that could result in sweating until you shower and wash off the cosmetic bronzer.
How many days will a sunless tan last?
- Typically, a sunless tan will last 7-10 days.
- Exposure to sea or chlorinated water may cause early fading.
- Applying Norvell’s Prolong Lotion or Amber Sun self tanning mousse after the 7-10 days can help extend your color.
- Results may vary due to hormonal changes in body such as medication, menstration, etc.
- Certain chemicals and adhesives such as bandaids may inhibit the tanning process in those areas.
- Bikini bottoms are available for purchase
Please call Elle Salon if you need further information on preparation for a beautiful lasting result!